Trust Burial Ground

Trustees Mr J. Cannard, Mr T. Lemon, Mr J. Walker.

Trust Burial Ground - Burial Rules

Burials' providing the deceased person has been any of:

  • On the electoral role of All Saints' Church, Winterbourne Down
  • Supporting All Saints' Church through the God's Portion scheme
  • A regular attendee

Those living within the Ecclesiastical boundaries of the parish who are not church supporters may be buried at the Trustees' discretion and subject to space being available. A surcharge may apply to the normal fees. This will be set against maintenance costs. Burials are permissible when a relative has been buried previously but location cannot be assured. Ashes from cremation may be interred in an urn or casket or under a lifted turf. Free scattering of ashes is not permissible.

History

Surrounding the actual church building is the associated burial ground dating from the original establishment in 1858. This burial ground was quickly filled up and by 1891 additional ground had been sought and obtained.

It was stipulated that this new area was to be used for burials of Church of England members only and subject to the governance of Trustees (Vicar and Churchwardens for the time being). Situated through and above the wrought iron gates this area also filled up quickly and further ground became necessary and was duly obtained to the South in September 1905.

The Trust deed specified that the new ground should be independent of the church and its original burial ground; additionally all burials were to be in accordance with Church of England rites and performed by the Vicar or Curate of the parish of All Saints' Winterbourne Down. Various Trustee activities took place in ensuing years until the Deed was entrusted to the Bishop for the purpose of obtaining an opinion as to its legality. In an air raid in 1940, whilst the Deed was in the Bishop's custody, his house was burned down, the Deed was lost. However an earlier opinion of a noted ecclesiastical lawyer advised that the Deed was sound. In the years that followed it appears that appointments of Trustees was largely by invitation until in June 2009 a new Deed of Appointment was prepared with three trustees and the Priest-in-charge as signatories.

Back to TopWebsite Design by Jenny and AndyLast updated: July 2016
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!